Castle Islet (Slotsholmen)
Locals refer to Catle Islet (Slotsholmen in Danish) as the “Island of Power,” thanks to the many important institutions based on the island, which is linked to the mainland by nine bridges. You’ll find several good museums here, including Christiansborg Palace (which now houses the Parliament), the Danish Jewish Museum, the Danish War Museum, and the Royal Danish Library, famous for its futuristic extension building known as the “Black Diamond.”
Join a Copenhagen city sightseeing tour or visit Castle Isletindependently through a hop-on hop-off bus tour.
Things to know before you go
- There has been a palace or castle on the island since 1167.
- Castle Isletis wheelchair-accessible.
- Entry to the various museums is via paid ticket.
How to get there
Castle Islet is located in central Copenhagen. Hop-on hop-off tour buses stop here, as do guided tours of the city. The closest metro station is Kongens Nytorv and local buses, including 1A, 2A, and 9A, pass by the area.
When to get there
Castle Islet is a public space and open year-round. The different institutions and museums in the area each have varying opening times, so plan to check before you visit a specific museum or attraction.
Visit Christiansborg Palace
Christiansborg Palace is the seat of the Danish Parliament and home of the Supreme Court and several reception rooms used by the royal family. Sections of the lavishly decorated building are open to the public, including the throne room, great hall, Queen’s Library, and palace kitchens. The current palace was built in 1928 after fires destroyed the two previous buildings, in 1794 and 1884.
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in North Holland
- Ruins under Christiansborg Palace
- Christiansborg Palace (Christiansborg Slot)
- Lapidarium of Kings (Kongernes Lapidarium)
- Thorvaldsens Museum
- Old Stock Exchange (Børsen)
- National Museum of Denmark (Nationalmuseet)
- Kunstforeningen Gl Strand
- Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek
- Christian's Harbor (Christianshavn)
- City Hall Square (Radhuspladsen)
- Tivoli Gardens
- Ocean Quay Cruise Port
- Kunsthal Charlottenborg
- Round Tower (Rundetårn)