Top Cinque Terre Outdoor Activities
The Cinque Terre has long been popular among visitors willing to hike for rewarding scenic views. And in addition to hiking the hills, there are a number of other outdoor adventures to be found. Here are a few ways to explore the Cinque Terre.
The trail connecting the five towns of the Cinque Terre is the most popular for hiking in the area, but it's by no means the only trail. There are other, more rugged hiking options higher up the cliffs, some of which are best visited with a guide who knows the way. The less-traveled trails offer fantastic views and far smaller crowds, while others are also good for mountain biking. And not far from the Cinque Terre, travelers can climb into a saddle and go horseback riding through the countryside, passing medieval castles and towns along the way. For an added thrill, try out paragliding to admire the spectacular coastline from the sky.
Though tourism has been the main contributor to the Cinque Terre economy for years now, the villages were once primarily centered on fishing. Some fishermen still take to the waters nearly every day, and you can head out on a fishing excursion with a local to find out how to catch the seafood seen on restaurant menus throughout the five towns. Alternatively, relax on a sailing trip along the Ligurian Coast, or pilot your own craft with a kayaking trip, spotting wildlife and paddling close enough to the shore to see caves and inlets inaccessible from land.
Built as they are into the area's steep hillsides, Cinque Terre vineyards are fascinating and the wine coveted, given that it is rarely exported. Visit an area winery to learn about the unique harvesting methods used by local winemakers and sample wines you may never have heard of before. Add a little hands-on fun to your winery trip with a cooking class, and you'll get the bonus of a souvenir you can use for the rest of your life—enhanced kitchen skills.
31 results | All Cinque Terre Tours
* A traveler said: "This was just so much fun. The weather and sea was perfect for this trip. Afterwards we even shared lunch with the group and enjoyed each other company."
* A traveler said: "The boat ride was a wonderful experience. To be able to see the small towns from the water, to swim, learn about the national park and how it’s protected, and to learn how the area was created and the history of the area."
* A traveler said: "We were a family of 4 the youngest being 9 yrs, and the other being 15, we all enjoyed the boat cruise, with the little snack and wine for the adults and juices for the kids set the scene for an amazing view of all the Cinque Terre ports, Just Amazing"
* A traveler said: "What a great way to experience the area. Our skipper was knowledgeable and fun. He went out of his way to make everyone feel comfortable and included. Would highly recommend to anyone."
* A traveler said: "Very nice trip with friendly guide who explained us a lot about Cinque Terre. Also kayaked to a beautiful place to swim."
* A traveler said: "This trip was just perfect. The place was wonderful. No surprise. But my guide was top top. Experienced, respectful, interesting. Could not have been better. He managed to transmit his passion for the place and for his way of touring it. Thank you Paul."
* A traveler said: "This tour was perfect! Lasted for about 3 hours where the guide took us from the new part of Monterosso to the old part of the town as he told the story of Cinque Terre that included historical details and highlights. We got to taste limoncella, bear, pesto, wine and focaccia, just perfect! Would definitely recommend this if you are looking for a nice walk where you learn someting as well as getting the essense of Cinque Terre."
* A traveler said: "We had a great time on this kayak tour. We went to a couple of places to swim that I wouldn’t have found without our guide. They were only accessible by water. Our guide was Chiara and she was great. She took time to make each group feel comfortable and welcomed. She gave us some history on a few landmarks on shore. It was great seeing the coastline in a kayak on the ocean. I would recommend this tour if you want to have some fun under the sun!"
* A traveler said: "Mateo was terrific. Great overview of the lands and a relaxing ride and swim. We had a terrific time."
* A traveler said: "What a perfect way to end out visit to the Cinque Terre. They were such incredible hosts! The scenery was spectacular, the Prosecco and aperol spritz were refreshing and the appetizers were abundant and delish. We couldn't have asked for more. Everything was fantastic!"
* A traveler said: "This tour was great! We ended up being the only 2 that day, and it was really interesting to be able to see the winery in this unique environment. There was a good bit of hiking, so keep that in mind if you are going to book it. Totally worth the views though!"
* A traveler said: "Pall is very good and shows u more than u would expect. You will walk away in amazement on how hard those people worked and what they went threw to farm there land. Definitely make us look lazy. Hard to explain u just need to do it"
* A traveler said: "Absolutely one of the best experiences of my life! Exhilarating, adrenaline rush and over the top! A MUST DO! Now I know why the birds sing! Souring with the eagles should be on everyone’s bucket list!|Gabriel was wonderful and made an outstanding pilot!"
* A traveler said: "We had know idea what we were in for and it turned out to be a challenging and informative hike with spectacular (!) views. Pall is an experienced guide with local knowledge that helps you understand the history and spirit of the Cinque Terre. Highly recommend this trip!"