The verdant hills surrounding cosmopolitan Chiang Mai have long been dotted with hill tribe villages of Thailand’s many ethnic minorities. Visiting one or more of these rural outposts has become a quintessential northern Thailand experience. Here’s what you need to know.
Suan Bua Mae Sa Orchid Farm
Mae Sa Valley, Chiang Mai, Thailand, 50180
Most travelers visiting the Mae Sa Orchid Farm arrive as part of a guided tour of the beautiful Mae Sa Valley. A typical day trip might involve a morning hike through the rain forest of Northern Thailand, a picnic lunch by a waterfall, and an afternoon of cycling down rural country roads to the orchid farm. Those traveling independently often combine a visit to the orchid farm with a trip to the nearby Mae Sa elephant camp.
Things to Know Before You Go
Suan Bua Mae Sa Orchid is popular with families and active travelers.
Give yourself 30 minutes to an hour to wander the farm facilities.
The farm is home to an on-site restaurant where you can grab lunch or a drink.
Mae Sa Valley day trips that include the orchid farm typically last around nine hours.
How to Get There
The Mae Sa Orchid Farm is located off Maerim-Samoeng Road on Highway 107 from Chiang Mai. Most visitors come as part of a guided tour from Chiang Mai.
When to Get There
The Mae Sa Orchid Farm is open daily from 7:30am to 4:30pm. Since the orchids and butterflies are located indoors, it’s a good option to escape the rain or afternoon heat.
The Orchids of Thailand
Thailand is home to about 1,300 species of orchids, many of which still grow naturally in the wild. The country is also the largest exporter of orchids in the world, with many of them sent to China, Japan, and the US.
- Things to do in Northern Thailand
- Things to do in Chiang Rai
- Things to do in Luang Prabang
- Things to do in Yangon
- Things to do in Vientiane
- Things to do in Mandalay
- Things to do in Bangkok
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Hua Hin
- Things to do in Kunming
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Lijiang
- Things to do in Changsha
- Things to do in Gulf of Thailand
- Things to do in South Coast
- Queen Sirikit Botanic Garden
- Baan Thong Luang Village
- Mae Sa Waterfall
- Sai Nam Phung Orchid Farm
- Huay Tung Tao Lake (Huay Tueng Thao Reservoir)
- Doi Suthep–Pui National Park
- Wat Phra That Doi Suthep
- Chiang Mai Zoo & Aquarium
- Chiang Mai National Museum
- Wat Suan Dok
- Golden Temple (Wat Phra That Doi Kham)
- Tunnel Temple (Wat Umong)
- Wat Phra Singh Waramahawihan
- Three Kings Monument (Anusawari Sam Kasat)
- Wat Chiang Man