Baan Thong Luang Village
The rising popularity of Baan Thong Luang mean that options for visiting the eco-agricultural village are plentiful. Time-pressed travelers can make the most of a short stay on half-day tours, some of which stop at the Elephant Poo Poo Paper Park to learn how locals recycle elephant dung. Alternatively, thrill seekers can combine Baan Thong Luang with white-water rafting and ziplining, while history buffs can opt for a tour that focuses on Chiang Mai’s temples and religious history.
Things to Know Before You Go
Baan Thong Luang is an educational place for kids and adults alike.
The village is an easy way for time-pressed travelers to get an overview of Thailand’s ethnic minority hill tribes.
There are various handicrafts on display throughout the village, including jewelry, dolls, and textiles, the sale of which provides income for the people here.
Visitors must pay an admission fee to access the village.
How to Get There
Baan Thong Luang village is located off Maerim-Samoeng Road, about 40 minutes from Chiang Mai by car. If you’re a confident driver, you can hire a scooter, but to spend less time driving and more time enjoying the mountain scenery, opt for a tour that includes round-trip transport from Chiang Mai.
When to Get There
The village is open daily during daylight hours. If you want to avoid the brunt of the crowds, try to arrive at Baan Thong Luang as early as possible.
The Famous Long Neck Karen Tribe
The Karen tribe, often referred to as the long neck tribe, emigrated to Thailand from Burma, where escalating violence and ethnic intolerance threatened to eradicate the Karen and its ancient traditions. Karen women elongate their necks with golden rings in order to appeal to their tribesmen, who believe that a longer neck equals a more beautiful woman.
- Things to do in Northern Thailand
- Things to do in Chiang Rai
- Things to do in Luang Prabang
- Things to do in Yangon
- Things to do in Vientiane
- Things to do in Mandalay
- Things to do in Bangkok
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Hua Hin
- Things to do in Kunming
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Lijiang
- Things to do in Changsha
- Things to do in Gulf of Thailand
- Things to do in South Coast
- Mae Sa Waterfall
- Queen Sirikit Botanic Garden
- Suan Bua Mae Sa Orchid Farm
- Sai Nam Phung Orchid Farm
- Huay Tung Tao Lake (Huay Tueng Thao Reservoir)
- Doi Suthep–Pui National Park
- Wat Phra That Doi Suthep
- Chiang Mai Zoo & Aquarium
- Chiang Mai National Museum
- Wat Suan Dok
- Tunnel Temple (Wat Umong)
- Wat Phra Singh Waramahawihan
- Golden Temple (Wat Phra That Doi Kham)
- Three Kings Monument (Anusawari Sam Kasat)
- Wat Chiang Man