Circled by UNESCO World Heritage Sites and brimming with thousands of teahouses, pubs, and street vendors, Chengdu is the perfect jumping-off point for a foray into the wonders of Sichuan. Here’s what to do if you have three days to spend in China’s fifth-largest city.
For Sichuan visitors with a deep interest in Taoism, a trip to Qingyang Palace is a great way to either pass the afternoon or reflect on the ancient religion with a warm cup of tea and a comfortable seat from right within the walls of its source.
Many sightseeing tours include a visit to the temple, along with other popular Chengdu attractions, such as Renmin Park, Wuhou Temple, Jinli Street, and the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding, depending on the option chosen.
Things to Know Before You Go
The palace is a must-visit for spiritual travelers and history buffs.
Give yourself about one hour to tour the temple grounds.
Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking over uneven surfaces.
How to Get There
Qingyang Palace is situated in northwest Chengdu. The easiest way to get there is to take one of several public buses to Qing Yang Gong Station. From there, it’s a short walk to the entrance.
When to Get There
The temple is open from morning to late afternoon daily throughout the year, though the best time to visit is during spring (March to June) or fall (September to November) when the weather isn’t too hot and the grounds aren't too crowded.
The Goats of Qingyang Palace
Local legend says that Qingyang Palace got the nickname Green Ram Temple from the pair of bronze goat statues flanking the altar of Sanqing Hall. One of the goats is recognizable for what it is, but the other boasts the ears of a mouse, nose of an ox, tiger claws, dragon horns, and a snake’s tail, among other features. Both statues are believed to have been taken from Beijing during the Qing Dynasty.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Qingyang Palace?
What else should I know about attractions in Chengdu?
- Shufen Yayun Teahouse (Shufeng Yayun)
- Chengdu Culture Park (Wenhua Gongyuan)
- Museum of Sichuan Cuisine (Chuancai Bowuguan)
- Du Fu Cottage
- Kuan Zhai Alley (Kuan Zhai Xiang Zi)
- Renmin Park (People's Park)
- Wuhou Memorial Temple (Temple of Marquis Wu)
- Jinli Ancient Street
- Jinsha Site Museum
- Chengdu Sichuan Opera Art Center
- Song Xian Qiao Antique Market
- Wangjianglou Park (Wangjiang Tower Park)
- Happy Valley Chengdu
- Zhaojue Temple
- Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding
- Sichuan Cuisine
- Visit Leshan Giant Buddha
- See a Sichuan Cultural Show
- Top Chengdu Temples
- 3 Days in Chengdu
- Tibet Tours from Chengdu
- How to Spend 1 Day in Chengdu
- How to Spend 2 Days in Chengdu
- How to Spend 3 Days in Chengdu
- Top Temples in Chengdu
- Sichuan Food Lover's Guide to Chengdu
- Sichuan Cultural Shows in Chengdu
- Tibet Tours from Chengdu