Circled by UNESCO World Heritage Sites and brimming with thousands of teahouses, pubs, and street vendors, Chengdu is the perfect jumping-off point for a foray into the wonders of Sichuan. Here’s what to do if you have three days to spend in China’s fifth-largest city.
Chengdu Sichuan Opera Art Center
54 Huaxing Main St, Jinjiang Qu, Chengdu, Sichuan, 610016
The highlight for most visitors is a performance at Jinjiang Theater. Made specifically for Sichuan opera, the theater boasts modern lighting, sound, and digital technology. Before the show, have a meal at the restaurant, or linger over tea at the two-story Yuelai Teahouse, which contains an ancient-style stage for small-scale opera performances. At the museum, browse photos, documents, and memorabilia that traces the history and development of Sichuan opera.
To save time, purchase your Jinjiang Theater tickets in advance—VIP seating is sometimes available. For a hassle-free experience, book a package that includes round-trip transportation from your Chengdu hotel.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Sichuan Opera Art Center is ideal for first-time visitors to Chengdu and travelers with an interest in Sichuan culture.
The performances are suitable for children.
Jinjiang Theater is wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
The Sichuan Opera Art Center is located in Chengdu’s Jinjiang district. It’s easiest to get there by taxi. Otherwise, take bus 154 to the Huaxing Street station, or bus 58, 81, or 98 to the Chunxi Road North station.
When to Get There
Shows at the Jinjiang Theater run daily, from 8pm to 9:30pm. There’s also a classical performance in the afternoon, for those wanting a more traditional experience. The Sichuan Opera Museum is open only occasionally, without a set schedule—call before going.
The Sichuan Opera Art Center was built on the site of the original Yuelai Teahouse, which dated back to the Qing dynasty. The Sanqinghui Opera Society—the most important Sichuan opera society of the time—hosted regular performances at the teahouse. Later renamed Jinjiang Theater, the teahouse was eventually torn down and replaced with the Sichuan Opera Art Center. In honor of its heritage, the center named its theater Jinjiang and its teahouse Yuelai.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Chengdu Sichuan Opera Art Center?
What else should I know about attractions in Chengdu?
- Things to do in Southwest China
- Things to do in Chongqing
- Things to do in Changsha
- Things to do in Tianshui
- Things to do in Guiyang
- Things to do in Shangri-La
- Things to do in Wuhan
- Things to do in Xian
- Things to do in Guilin
- Things to do in Yangshuo
- Things to do in Northern Vietnam
- Things to do in Northwest China
- Things to do in Lijiang
- Things to do in Guangxi
- Things to do in Southern China
- Song Xian Qiao Antique Market
- Renmin Park (People's Park)
- Kuan Zhai Alley (Kuan Zhai Xiang Zi)
- Chengdu Culture Park (Wenhua Gongyuan)
- Shufen Yayun Teahouse (Shufeng Yayun)
- Jinli Ancient Street
- Wangjianglou Park (Wangjiang Tower Park)
- Wuhou Memorial Temple (Temple of Marquis Wu)
- Qingyang Palace
- Museum of Sichuan Cuisine (Chuancai Bowuguan)
- Du Fu Cottage
- Zhaojue Temple
- Jinsha Site Museum
- Happy Valley Chengdu
- Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding
- Sichuan Cuisine
- Visit Leshan Giant Buddha
- See a Sichuan Cultural Show
- Top Chengdu Temples
- 3 Days in Chengdu
- Tibet Tours from Chengdu
- How to Spend 1 Day in Chengdu
- How to Spend 2 Days in Chengdu
- How to Spend 3 Days in Chengdu
- Top Temples in Chengdu
- Sichuan Food Lover's Guide to Chengdu
- Sichuan Cultural Shows in Chengdu
- Tibet Tours from Chengdu