Puntarenas Cruise Port Tours and Activities
Read MoreShow Less
If you’re cruising to Costa Rica, you’ll almost certainly stop in Puntarenas, the ideal jumping-off point for daylong excursions into the countryside. Explore the rain and cloud forests around Monteverde, or visit Poas Volcano and Carara national parks.
Whether you dock right at Puntarenas, or at nearby Puerto Caldera, you’re almost guaranteed an exciting stay. While Puntarenas itself is quite small, some of Costa Rica’s many natural wonders lie nearby. Check out the caldera lake and waterfalls at Poas Volcano; walk among the treetops in a cloud forest; go white-water rafting; or relax on a beach. Costa Rica is a wildlife paradise—look for spider monkeys and howler monkeys, tree frogs, and sloths.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Both cruise terminals in Puntarenas offer restrooms, Wi-Fi, payphones, and other amenities.
- Many Puntarenas shops, restaurants, and services are located along the seafront promenade known as the Malecon.
- For a good beach, head to Playa San Isidro, about 4 miles (6 kilometers) south of Puntarenas.
How to Get to Puntarenas From the Puntarenas Cruise Port
If your ship arrives at Puntarenas proper, you’re just a short stroll away from the cruise terminal and the Puntarenas Malecon. A free shuttle also runs from the ship landing to the terminal—a nice option for people with limited mobility. If your ship docks at Puerto Caldera, you’ll need to jump in a taxi or arrange a transfer for the 20-minute ride to town.
Make sure you know where your ship will be docking—Puntarenas or Puerto Caldera. Spanish is the main language used in Costa Rica, and the currency is the colón. Taxis are usually easy to find.
Address: Puntarenas, Costa Rica
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Puntarenas Cruise Port
No results found!
Things to do near Central Pacific
- Things to do in Jaco
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Quepos
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Guanacaste and Northwest
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in Alajuela
- Things to do in La Fortuna de San Carlos
- Things to do in La Fortuna
- Things to do in San Jose
- Things to do in Osa Peninsula & Gulfo Dulce
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Western Highlands