Botero Museum (Museo Botero)
In addition to 100 pieces of Botero’s own work, highlights of the museum include paintings by Picasso, Monet, Matisse, and Klimt, all of which are curated by the artist himself. Benefit from the knowledge of an art historian guide on a private tour of the museum—which provide context that’s crucial to understanding each masterpiece—or combine Museo Botero with La Candeleria (Historic Old Town) on a comprehensive sightseeing tour that offers a great introduction to Bogota for first-time visitors.
Recent reviews from experiences in Bogotá
Things to Know Before You Go
- A must-visit museum for culture buffs and art enthusiasts.
- Admission to Museo Botero is free.
- You can rent an audio guide—available in English, French, and Spanish—if you want to gain further insight into the pieces on display.
- Museo Botero is fully accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
Museo Botero is located on Calle 11 between no. 4-41, in the heart of La Candelaria. If you’re using public transport from outside of the Old Town, take a TransMilenio bus to Museo del Oro Station.
When to Get There
The museum is open between Monday and Saturday from 9am-7pm, and on Saturday and Sunday between 10am and 5pm. In order to avoid having to wait in line, try to arrive at the museum as early as possible.
Bogota Gold Museum (Museo del Oro)
Just a few minutes from Museo Botero, you’ll find Bogota Gold Museum (Museo del Oro), one of the city’s most popular attractions. The museum organizes some of its 55,000-strong collection according to both archaeological and artistic exhibits and tells the story of mining, manufacturing, and metallurgy from pre-Hispanic times to the present day.
- Bogotá Mint Museum (Museo Casa de la Moneda)
- Gabriel García Márquez Cultural Center
- La Catedral Primada
- Mirador Torre Colpatria
- La Candelaria (Historic Old Town)
- Gold Museum (Museo del Oro)
- International Emerald Museum (Museo Internacional de la Esmeralda)
- Plaza de Bolivar
- Quinta de Bolívar Museum
- Children's Museum of Bogota (Museo de los Niños)
- Bogotá Museum of Modern Art (MAMBO)
- Colombian National Museum (Museo Nacional de Colombia)
- La Chorrera Waterfall
- Mundo Aventura Theme Park (Parque Mundo Aventura)
- Maloka Museum