La Chorrera Waterfall
Despite being less than an hour from the capital, La Chorrera is still one of the region’s least-visited sights, making it a top choice if you’re looking to get off the beaten track. The falls offer the ideal backdrop for adventurous activities such as horseback riding and abseiling. Most day trips to the waterfall include a visit to the smaller El Chiflon Waterfall as well, followed by a guided hike through the cloud forest to La Chorrera.
Recent reviews from experiences in Bogotá
Things to know before you go
- Remember to wear sturdy shoes suitable for walking over uneven surfaces.
- Admission is free but it’s a good idea to make the hike with a guide who’s familiar with the rainforest, for both safety reasons and to increase your chance of spotting wildlife.
- The road to the trail head is winding so prepare if you’re prone to motion sickness.
How to get there
La Chorrera is a 45-minute drive from Bogota. The only way to reach the waterfall itself is on foot but the scenic journey is all part of the experience—the easy 1-hour path winds through wild rainforest and misty cloud forest, and offers views of the Colombian Andes.
When to get there
Start excursions to the waterfall early, whether you’re going on a tour or on your own. The best time to visit is between December and March during the dry season, when you’re less likely to get rained on.
Outdoor Adventures Near Bogotá
Colombia’s capital city makes an excellent base for outdoor adventures. You can go skydiving above the Colombian countryside, descend into a salt mine that’s been transformed into a subterranean cathedral, hike through the Andean landscape of Sumapaz National Park, ride on horseback through the Monserrate and Guadalupe hills, or explore the landscape of Laguna de Guatavita.
- Mundo Aventura Theme Park (Parque Mundo Aventura)
- Plaza de Bolivar
- Mirador Torre Colpatria
- La Catedral Primada
- Gabriel García Márquez Cultural Center
- Bogotá Mint Museum (Museo Casa de la Moneda)
- Botero Museum (Museo Botero)
- Children's Museum of Bogota (Museo de los Niños)
- Gold Museum (Museo del Oro)
- International Emerald Museum (Museo Internacional de la Esmeralda)
- Bogotá Museum of Modern Art (MAMBO)
- Colombian National Museum (Museo Nacional de Colombia)
- La Candelaria (Historic Old Town)
- Quinta de Bolívar Museum
- Maloka Museum