Arriange Theatre (Teatro Arriaga) Tours and Activities
If your visit to Bilbao has gotten you into an artistic mood, then embrace that notion with a little theater at the city's Teatro Arriaga. The 19th-century Neo-baroque theater goes easy on the traveler's eyes with an elaborate facade that overlooks the east bank of the Nervión River, and a fancy interior of plush red chairs, golden balconies and ornate crown molding.
This may sound like theater-viewing perfection, but Teatro Arraiga's past hasn't been quite as flawless. Designed by Joaquín Rucoba, the theater was opened in 1890, and dedicated to Juan Crisóstomo Arriaga, considered the Mozart of Spain. Flash forward to 1914, when a fire essentially demolished it, followed by other setbacks, such as its closing for a time during the Civil War. Then came threatening floods in 1983, which inundated the structure to the second floor, closing it once more.
The curtain of course rose again, though, and the intimately sized theater – seating some 1,500 people – has welcomed audiences ever since.
Tours and Activities to Experience Arriange Theatre (Teatro Arriaga)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Bilbao Night Lights Tour
- Bilbao and Guggenheim Museum Private tour
- Bilbao Classic & Modern
- Private tour, the jewels of Bilbao, with Guggenheim and pintxos tasting.
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Things to do in Santander
- Things to do in San Sebastian
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Bordeaux
- Things to do in Segovia
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in La Coruna
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in Santiago de Compostela
- Things to do in Aquitaine
- Things to do in Castile and León