Kolekole Falls Tours and Activities
Read MoreShow Less
Kolekole Falls is nestled in the lush jungle-like Kolekole Beach Park on the Big Island of Hawaii’s Hamakua Coast. The falls’ plunge pool is a popular swimming spot, just up from where the stream meets the seashore. With many visitors heading to nearby Akaka Falls instead, Kolekole Falls is an ideal spot enjoy a picnic away from the crowds.
Kolekole Beach Park welcomes visitors with picnic tables, barbecue pits, pavilions, and restrooms. You can spend the day lounging at the falls or stop by as part of a tour of the many waterfalls along the Hamakua Coast, including the neighboring 442-foot (134.7-meter) Akaka Falls. Thrill-seekers can see the falls from above on a zipline tour that crisscrosses over the lush mountains and stream.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Kolekole Falls and the park are an ideal spot for waterfall fans and anyone wanting to spend a leisurely afternoon in nature.
- Bring a swimsuit so you can cool off in the pool below the falls.
- The rocky shore and rough surf make it unsafe to swim in the ocean at this location.
- The park is free to enter and camping is allowed with a permit.
How to Get There
Kolekole Beach Park is 12 miles (19 kilometers) north of downtown Hilo and 16 miles (25.7 kilometers) north of the Hilo International Airport on Highway 19. Turn left on Old Mamalahoa Highway; the falls are hidden just off the road. The park is just a 1-mile (1.6-kilometer) detour on the way to Akaka Falls State Park.
When to Get There
The park is open from 6am to 11pm year-round. Visit on a sunny day to enjoy a picnic at the park or swim in the stream. To see the falls at their most impressive, go after a recent rain. Rain is common in the area, and it is most likely to be clear in mid-morning with rain often picking up in the afternoon.
The Hilo Zipline over Kolekole Falls
This 7-zipline course soars over the Hamakua Coast’s lush mountains, providing dramatic views of Kolekole Stream, the rocky coastline, and stunning waterfalls. The ziplines build on themselves, starting with the shortest and progressing to one of the longest ziplines in Hawaii. Suitable for everyone from first-timers to adrenaline junkies, this experience combines thrills and scenery for an unforgettable adventure.
Address: Kolekole Beach Park, Honomu, Hawaii 96728, USA
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Kolekole Falls
No results found!
- How to Get Off the Beaten Path on the Big Island of Hawaii
- How to Spend 3 Days on the Big Island
- How to Spend 1 Day on the Big Island
- Where to Stay on the Big Island of Hawaii
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities on the Big Island of Hawaii
- First-Timers Guide to the Big Island of Hawaii
- Things to Do on the Big Island of Hawaii This Summer