The town of Kalapana is 32 miles from Hilo and 40 miles from Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. The lava viewing area is at the end of Highway 130, and the hike to reach the lava flows can vary from 20 minutes to a couple of hours depending on the exact location of the flow. The hike to the lava is across rocky terrain, so closed–toe shoes are needed, and the best time to view the lava is at night when it glows a fiery bright orange.
- How to Get Off the Beaten Path on the Big Island of Hawaii
- How to Spend 3 Days on the Big Island
- How to Spend 1 Day on the Big Island
- Where to Stay on the Big Island of Hawaii
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities on the Big Island of Hawaii
- First-Timers Guide to the Big Island of Hawaii
- Things to Do on the Big Island of Hawaii This Summer