Imiloa Astronomy Center Tours and Activities
One-part traditional science center and one-part cultural center, the Imiloa is a unique multidisciplinary museum that could only exist in Hawaii. Inside the campus’ conically-edged, volcano-inspired buildings, exhibits showcase scientific understanding of the origins of the universe alongside Hawaiian cultural exhibits. Exhibits are divided into two areas—origins and explorations—to help visitors appreciate the scientific understanding of the origins of the universe as well as Hawaiian cultural understanding of the cosmos and how the cosmos guide exploration, whether its into the stars themselves or using the stars to navigate over land and sea. A full-dome planetarium with daily, locally-relevant star (one show is included in admission cost) and free-to-explore native gardens are also highlights.
Operated by the University of Hawaii at Hilo and located in the foothills of Mauna Kea, several exhibits focus on Mauna Kea, shedding insight into both research taking place within the mountain’s 13 summit observatories and Hawaiian reverence for the mountain. Many of the longer tours visiting the summit observatories incorporate an informative stop at Imiloa.
Tours and Activities to Experience Imiloa Astronomy Center
Frequently Asked Questions
- Big Island Adventure Bundle: 5 Epic Audio Driving Tours
- Big Island - North Island Jungle Driving Tour
- Big Island - South Island Coastal Loop Driving Tour
- How to Get Off the Beaten Path on the Big Island of Hawaii
- How to Spend 3 Days on the Big Island
- How to Spend 1 Day on the Big Island
- Where to Stay on the Big Island of Hawaii
- Don't Miss These Must-Do Activities on the Big Island of Hawaii
- First-Timers Guide to the Big Island of Hawaii
- Things to Do on the Big Island of Hawaii This Summer