Museum of Decorative Arts (Kunstgewerbemuseum)
As befits one of the most important decorative-arts museums in Europe, there are two locations for Berlin’s Museum of Decorative Arts (Kunstgewerbemuseum in German); the Kulturforum near Potsdamer Platz and an outpost at the Schloss Köpenick on an island in the Dahme River. The former is housed in purpose-built gallery designed by Rolf Gutbrod in 1985, which was refurbished in 2014 to provide a home for an expanded collection celebrating the landmarks of European design from medieval times to present day. Highlights include examples of medieval religious art, Renaissance silverware and the ornate rococo Chamber of Mirrors transported from the Schloss Wiesentheid in Kitzingen, Bavaria. Recent additions include a spectacular Fashion Gallery — exhibiting 130 dresses dating from 1795 to present day — and important pieces of Jugendstil and Art Deco glassware and furniture.
Temporary exhibitions featuring artifacts from the museum’s repository are held at both venues but the major selling point of the ornate, moated Schloss Köpenick is its permanent display of reconstructed period rooms. Dating from the 16th to the 18th centuries, they are perfectly matched to the Baroque backdrop of the castle and every detail of their decoration is accurate down to the last piece of furniture and stuccowork.