Yandai Byway (Yandai Xiejie) Tours and Activities
Located in the Xicheng District not far from Shichahai, Yandai Byway (Yandai Xiejie) is one of the oldest streets in Beijing. It’s a street of contrasts, blending the ancient Beijing with the modern city it has become today. Various shops and cafes cater to locals and visitors from far and wide, who explore the street on foot or by rickshaw.
Yandai translates as Tobacco Pouch and the street takes its name from the huge popularity of tobacco and subsequent tobacco shops during the Qing Dynasty. You may see it written Yandaixie Street, Yandai Xie Street, or Yandaixie Jie.
Most of the shops in Yandai Byway are situated on sidesteps and have large wooden tobacco pipe symbols at their entrances. Some even say that the shape of the street itself resembles a tobacco pouch.
The original ancient architectural styles found on Yandai Byway, along with its historical and cultural significance, saw the street named one of China's Historical and Cultural Streets by the Ministry of Culture in 2010.
Tours and Activities to Experience Yandai Byway (Yandai Xiejie)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Beijing Private Tour: 2 Days Forbidden City and Mutianyu Great Wall VIP Tour
- Private Night Sightseeing Tour of Beijing
- Half-Day Private Beijing Hutong Walking Tour with Dim Sum
- Beijing Private Evening Food Tour with Great Leaping Brewery Taproom Hopping
- Things to do in Northern China
- Things to do in Tianjin
- Things to do in Datong
- Things to do in Shenyang
- Things to do in Jinan
- Things to do in Pingyao
- Things to do in Qufu
- Things to do in Xian
- Things to do in Incheon
- Things to do in Seoul
- Things to do in Eastern China
- Things to do in Northwest China
- Things to do in Taiyuan
- Things to do in Okinawa
- Things to do in Northern Vietnam