Port Olímpic is a hub of activity on the Barcelona waterfront, particularly during the busy summer months. It’s the jumping-off point for sailing trips on the Mediterranean Sea, as well as kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, and windsurfing lessons. The beachfront is home to numerous dining and shopping options, and once the sun goes down, some of Barcelona’s best nightclubs crank up the music for the late-night party crowd. Sun seekers and those looking to cool off on a hot summer afternoon can get their fix of sun, sand, and sea at the beaches on either side of the marina, Barceloneta and Nova Icària.
Recent reviews from experiences in Barcelona
Things to Know Before You Go
Port Olímpic is a must for water sports enthusiasts and couples looking for a romantic sail.
Don’t forget to bring sun protection and beach gear, especially if you’re visiting in summer.
Public restrooms, showers, and changing areas are available just in front of the beach.
How to Get There
To get to Port Olímpic, take the Barcelona Metro to Ciutadella–Vila Olímpica stop (line 4). Several public buses also stop nearby, as does the double-decker hop-on hop-off sightseeing bus.
When to Get There
The best time to visit this seaside neighborhood depends on the season and activity. In the summer months, it’s a popular place for sunbathing on the beach or sipping a cocktail in one of the many garden bars. Sunset sets the scene for romantic evening cruises, while the nightlife here is hard to rival.
Frank Gehry’s Golden Fish
Don’t leave Barcelona without a quick trip to Port Olímpic, if only to see the giant goldfish sculpture designed by renowned architect Frank Gehry. The piece of art, calledPiex (Fish), measures 184 feet (56 meters) long and 115 feet (35 meters) tall and was made from gilded stainless steel that glistens in the sun.
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Girona
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Toulouse
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Valencia
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Things to do in Midi-Pyrénées
- Nova Icaria Beach (Platja de la Nova Icaria)
- Barceloneta Beach
- Barcelona Zoo
- França Railway Station (Estació de França)
- Ciutadella Park (Parc de la Ciutadella)
- El Born Cultural and Memorial Centre (El Born Centre de Cultura i Memòria)
- El Poblenou
- History Museum of Catalonia (Museu d'Historia de Catalunya)
- Chocolate Museum (Museu de la Xocolata)
- El Born
- St. Mary of the Sea Cathedral (Basilica de Santa Maria del Mar)
- Barcelona La Ribera
- Picasso Museum (Museu Picasso)