Opened in 1986, the MBK Center is one of Bangkok’s most popular malls, and it’s known as a good place to get a bargain. Over 2,000 shops and stalls are spread over eight floors. Some parts of the enormous center are arranged thematically, whereas others are somewhat random, so give yourself plenty of time to explore. You can find everything from decorative furniture to beachwear at the MBK Center, although it’s best known for electronics and clothing.
Travelers usually visit the MBK Center independently so they can spend as much (or as little) time shopping as they want. Some guided tours that cover the Siam Square area include a stop at the MBK Center, or end the tour here to give you a chance to browse.
Things to know before you go
- There are two food courts in the center: a Thai one on the sixth floor, and an international one on the fifth.
- The top floor includes a cinema, a karaoke parlor, and arcade games.
- Many imitation branded goods are sold at the MBK Center. Make sure to check the quality of everything carefully before parting with your cash.
- Unlike in most mall environments, bargaining is acceptable here. Keep it polite and friendly.
- The center is air-conditioned, so this is a great place to come for respite from the heat.
How to get there
The MBK Center is in central Bangkok, close to Siam Square. The nearest BTS Skytrain station is National Stadium, and there’s a walkway directly connecting the station with the mall. Siam station is also not far. It’s best to avoid taking a taxi, as the area is prone to traffic jams, but there is a taxi stand and an indoor waiting area on the bottom floor.
When to get there
The center is typically open daily from morning until late evening. It gets particularly busy on the weekends and in the early-mid afternoons, so avoid these times if you don’t like crowds.
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Hua Hin
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Angkor Wat
- Things to do in Siem Reap
- Things to do in Koh Tao
- Things to do in Ko Pha Ngan
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Sihanoukville
- Things to do in Vientiane
- Things to do in Surat Thani
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Gulf of Thailand
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Northern Thailand
- Siam Square
- Madame Tussauds Bangkok
- Line Village Bangkok
- SEA LIFE® Bangkok Ocean World
- Jim Thompson House Museum
- KidZania Bangkok
- BTS Skytrain (Bangkok Mass Transit System)
- Khlong Saen Saep
- Erawan Shrine
- Snake Farm (Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute)
- Baiyoke Sky Tower
- Suan Pakkad Palace
- Rajadamnern Stadium
- Temple of the Golden Buddha (Wat Traimit)