West Bali National Park (Taman Nasional Bali Barat)
Independent guests to West Bali National Park must pay national park fees and use its chartered guide service. Boat trips are through the park’s fixed-rate charter service. As the park is far from popular tourist destinations, many visit with a tour or with a prearranged private driver/guide. The park is near Gilimanuk, where ferries leave for Java, so some tours stop between Ijen Crater (Kawah Ijen) and other East Java attractions.
Things to Know Before You Go
Abundant birdlife, including kingfishers, herons, and the rare Bali starling, make West Bali National Park a must-do for birders.
Macaques, monkey, and deer are commonly seen from the trails. Creatures such as wild boar, wild buffalo, and leopard cats are less frequently spotted.
A horseback safari makes a splendid way to explore West Bali National Park.
Menjangan Island, known for its sea fans and corals, lies within West Bali National Park and is popular with divers.
How to Get There
West Bali National Park is hard to reach by public transport. Pemuteran Shuttle runs a shuttle service from Ubud, Kuta, and Sanur to the resort town of Pemuteran, around 15 miles (25 kilometers) away. Public buses run from Denpasar’s Ubung terminal to the port of Gilimanuk, around 6 miles (10 kilometers) away. If you speak some Indonesian, you can pick up a “bemo” minibus from Gilimanuk or Pemuteran.
When to Get There
The dry season (roughly May to October) is the best time to watch wildlife in the park, both from a comfort perspective and because the grounds are less overgrown with greenery, but the park is worth visiting year-round. If you’re staying in Pemuteran or the resorts on the fringes of the park, aim to start wildlife watching around 6am when the animals are most active.
Big Cats of Bali National Park
The West Bali National Park was once home to the Bali tiger—but the last sighting was more than 80 years ago, and that one was shot. There is no leopard population, but there are leopard cats. Despite their leopard-like patterns, they are not much larger than a standard domestic cat.
- Things to do in Ubud
- Things to do in Kuta
- Things to do in Seminyak
- Things to do in Nusa Dua
- Things to do in Jimbaran
- Things to do in East Java
- Things to do in West Java
- Things to do in Sabah
- Things to do in Banyuwangi
- Things to do in Jakarta
- Things to do in Kuching
- Things to do in Western Australia
- Things to do in Northern Territory
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Things to do in Palawan
- Menjangan Island (Pulau Menjangan)
- Banjar Hot Spring (Air Panas Banjar)
- Mt. Batukaru (Gunung Batukaru)
- Aling-Aling Waterfalls (Air Terjun Aling-Aling)
- Gitgit Waterfalls (Air Terjun Gitgit)
- Batukaru Temple (Pura Luhur Batukaru)
- Pasar Candi Kuning (Bedugul Market)
- Ulun Danu Beratan Temple (Pura Ulun Danu Bratan)
- Sekumpul Waterfall (Air Terjun Sekumpul)
- Bali Butterfly Park (Taman Kupu-Kupu Bali)
- Tirta Gangga Water Garden (Taman Tirtagangga)
- Lake Beratan (Danau Bratan)