Padangbai (Padang Bai) Tours
Read MoreShow Less
Known mainly as the port where ferries and some fast boats depart for Lombok, the little town of Padangbai (also written Padang Bai) is now a destination in its own right. Attractions center on diving and snorkeling, but the Balinese town also makes a good base for reaching both Tulamben and Penida/Lembongan.
Between charming, white-sand beaches such as Blue Lagoon and Bias Tugel and the underwater attractions of Jepun, Gili Tepekong, and beyond, there is more to do in Padangbai than just catch the boat to Lombok. And with accommodation at levels from boutique to budget, it’s easy to spend the night.
Padangbai tours typically focus on diving and/or snorkeling, be that PADI open water or advanced dive courses or multi-day diving packages. The town is well placed for both Tulamben/Amed and Nusa Penida/Nusa Lembongan, and dive courses and dive packages sometimes include dives outside Padangbai itself.
Things to Know Before You Go
- A seriously underrated diving and snorkeling destination, Padangbai is particularly recommended for fans of weird underwater life.
- While the port itself is relatively flat, Padangbai’s signature beaches—Blue Lagoon and Bias Tugel—are accessed by rough tracks and steps.
- For a quieter night’s sleep, away from the port announcements, reserve accommodation on the fringes of the town.
How to Get There
An hour or so north of Sanur on the island’s east coast, Padangbai is one of Bali’s transport hubs. Perama shuttle buses connect to destinations including Ubud, Sanur, Kuta, Candidasa, and Tirta Gangga; ferries run to Lombok and Nusa Penida; and there are fast boats to Lombok, the Gilis, and Nusa Lembongan.
When to Get There
There is no bad time to visit Padangbai, which has ample accommodation, eateries, and dive stores. During late July and early August heavy swells can make diving difficult and force the suspension of the fast-boat routes to Lombok, although the large ferries generally continue to run to both Penida and Lombok.
A wealth of unusual critters and small stuff makes diving Padangbai a must for macro photographers: frogfish, nudibranchs, ghost pipefish, and more are all seen here. Yet with a small wreck, occasionally passed by a submarine, and some lovely reefs offshore at Gili Tepekong, there really is something for everyone. Padangbai dive sites are less busy than big-ticket sites such as the USAT Liberty in Amed and more affordable than sites around Menjangan/Pemuteran.
Address: Padangbai, Bali, Indonesia
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Padangbai (Padang Bai)
No results found!
Things to do near Bali
- Things to do in Ubud
- Things to do in Tanjung Benoa
- Things to do in Kuta
- Things to do in Seminyak
- Things to do in Nusa Dua
- Things to do in Jimbaran
- Things to do in Nusa Lembongan
- Things to do in Gili Islands
- Things to do in East Java
- Things to do in Central Java
- Things to do in Candidasa
- Things to do in Gili Trawangan
- Things to do in West Java
- Things to do in East Nusa Tenggara
- Things to do in Sabah