While Provence is more a state of mind than a place – you can't actually point to Provence on a map – the hilltop village of Roussillon is exactly what visitors think of when they say they want to visit Provence. Picturesque, compact, colorful and with astounding views of the countryside, this village in the Vaucluse couldn't be more charmingly Provençal if it tried.
The almost candy-like colors of the buildings come from the surrounding earth; Roussillon lies on one of the largest ocre deposits in the world and has prehistoric origins. After a stroll around the village, take the Giants' Causeway (Sentier des Ocres), a cliffside trail loop that features the bright orange sands and plenty of forest to explore.
Browse. Filter. Book
What's the best way to experience Roussillon?
- Provence Picturesque Villages Small Group Day Trip from Avignon
- Private Day Tour of the Villages of Provence
- Want to adventure? Book your electric mountain bike with Guide - 1/2 day
- PRIVATE Full Day Provence Villages and Historical Monuments Walking Tour from Avignon
Things to do near Avignon
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Villeneuve-les-Avignon
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Cannes
- Things to do in Nice
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Things to do in French Riviera