South Congress Avenue (SoCo) Tours
Read MoreShow Less
Austin’s South Congress Avenue (SoCo) comprises a slew of hip, funky restaurants and boutiques south of the Congress Avenue Bridge. Stroll down the main drag, people-watch and window-shop, and marvel at the retro neon signs including the Austin Motel and Jo’s Coffee (home of the iconic “I love you so much” mural).
There’s a whole lot of Austin culture and character packed into this little drag. Let your appetite guide you to a meal, snack, coffee, beer, or cocktail on the patio while you explore this eclectic enclave. Lucky Robot, Amy’s Ice Cream, Home Slice Pizza, and Hopdoddy Burger Bar are among local faves. Grab a unique souvenir from Heritage Boot or Allens Boots, or browse for something special at Tesoros Trading Company.
Things to Know Before You Go
- South Congress is a must for every first-time visitor to Austin, and is ideal for couples and shoppers; younger kids may not find it very exciting.
- Restaurant patios here and throughout Austin tend to be very dog-friendly.
- The boutique hotels here, such as Hotel San José and Hotel Saint Cecilia, offer unique accommodations within a short walk of restaurants and shops.
- Lots of SoCo establishments offer WiFi.
How to Get There
Southern Congress is bordered by Oltorf Street to the south and Lady Bird Lake to the north. Street parking is generally available, except during particularly busy times. Pedicabs and city bike rentals are available throughout town, and CapMetro runs buses that stop regularly in the district.
When to Get There
Most SoCo shops open 10am or 11am. Visiting close to or after sunset is a great time to see the neon lights (and the bats; see below). Spring and fall typically bring great weather, but be aware of oppressive crowds during popular festivals such as South by Southwest (March) and Austin City Limits (October).
The Congress Avenue Bridge, at the northern border of SoCo, is home to the largest urban colony of Mexican free-tailed bats in the world. At sunset most nights from March to November, people gather above and below the bridge, as well as on the water, eager for a peek at the swarms of bats emerging for their evening meal.
Address: South Congress Avenue, Austin, Texas, USA
1 Tours and Activities to Experience South Congress Avenue (SoCo)
* You will learn all about Austin and it’s rich history while enjoying an awesome view of the city from atop of a double decker bus. * Locally owned and operated family business * You get the best views of Austin from an unobstructed upper deck of a double decker bus * The best tour for taking photographs. * People on the street love to interact with people on the upper deck. * Climate controlled lower deck * Goes by more downtown attractions that any other Austin tour. * Every Tour Has Driver and Tour Guide * Austin’s best tour guides solely focus on making your experience fun and interesting. They don’t have to worry about driving. * Absolutely No Audio Recordings. We feel that you will enjoy your Austin experience much more by interacting with our guides instead of a listening to audio recordings.
Taking safety measures
Face masks required for travelers in public areas
Face masks required for guides in public areas
Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What's the best way to experience South Congress Avenue (SoCo)?
The best ways to experience South Congress Avenue (SoCo) are:See all South Congress Avenue (SoCo) experiences on Viator.