Mt. Lycabettus (Lykavittos)
The mountain’s main attraction is its 360-degree views of Athens, but the striking Orthodox chapel of Saint George is also worth a look. Two hilltop restaurants allow to linger over the view for longer.
Many Athens sightseeing tours pass by the base of the mountain, while walking tours generally include a stroll through some off-the-beaten-path neighborhoods on the way to the summit. If you’re short on time, opt for a best-of-Athens tour. Most options include a quick drive to the top to admire the views and stop at other top attractions such as the Parthenon, Plaka, and the Temple of Olympian Zeus.
Things to Know Before You Go
Call ahead to make a dinner reservation at Orizontes restaurant, as tables often fill up, especially during peak season.
A moderate level of fitness is required to reach the funicular station, and the hike all the way to the top is fairly strenuous.
For a quick snack, a mountaintop cafe provides coffee and other refreshments.
Wear sun protection and bring plenty of water if hiking the mountain during hot summer weather.
How to Get There
From Athens’ Evangelismos metro station, climb several flights of stairs to reach the base of a funicular that departs for the top of Mt. Lycabettus every half hour. Many travelers opt to ride the cable car up to avoid a steep hike and walk back down.
When to Get There
Visit during the day for a complete panorama of Athens’ ancient landmarks and sprawling metropolis, or time your visit with sunset and stay after dark for a romantic view of the illuminated Acropolis. During summer, a series of concerts take place at the mountain summit.
The Best Views in Athens
While Mt. Lycabettus offers the best city views, several other points offer elevated perspectives that are worth checking out. The Acropolis is Athens’ most famous hilltop attraction, while Areopagus Hill boasts fantastic views of both the Parthenon and Ancient Agora. For a longer outdoor adventure, hike past archaeological sites on the forested trails of Mt. Immitos, located just outside the city center.
- Things to do in Olympia
- Things to do in Santorini
- Things to do in Izmir
- Things to do in Kusadasi
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Kos
- Things to do in Bodrum
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Ohrid
- Things to do in Rhodes
- Things to do in Sarigerme
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Peloponnese
- Things to do in Cyclades Islands
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Kolonaki Square (Plateia Kolonaki)
- Museum of Cycladic Art
- Benaki Museum
- Athens War Museum (Polemiko Mouseio)
- Byzantine & Christian Museum
- Ghika Gallery (Pinakothiki Ghika)
- University of Athens
- Numismatic Museum of Athens
- Academy of Athens (Akadimía Athinón)
- National Library of Greece (Ethnikí Vivliothíki tis Elládos)
- Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (Mnemeíon Agnostou Stratiotou)
- Syntagma Square (Plateia Syntagmatos)
- National History Museum (Ethnikó Istorikó Mouseío)
- Panathenaic Stadium (Panathinaiko Stadio)
- Syntagma Station