Cézanne's Studio (Atelier Cézanne)
For the last five years of his life, Cézanne frequented this studio, painting famous works includingLes Grandes Baigneuses (The Large Bathers) as well as numerous still lifes and landscapes. The studio was turned into a museum in 1954 and displays numerous artifacts belonging to the painter, arranged as if he had just stepped outside for a moment.
Things to Know Before You Go
Atelier Cézanne and its charming garden are must-dos for art and art-history lovers.
Entry to the atelier is via paid ticket and includes access to the garden.
Only a small number of visitors are allowed inside the studio at a time, so consider booking your ticket in advance.
The museum is wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Cézanne's Studio (Atelier Cézanne) is located on Avenue Paul Cézanne, a few minutes’ outside Aix-en-Provence. There is no parking at the site—the closest parking (Parking Pasteur) is a 10-minute walk away. Public buses 5 and 12 stop nearby, or you can travel by taxi or as part of a tour.
When to Get There
Cézanne's Studio (Atelier Cézanne) is generally busiest in the afternoons. Most visitors tend to spend around one hour exploring the studio and gardens, which close for lunch from 1pm to 2pm.
Follow in the Footsteps of Cézanne
If you want to learn more about Cézanne’s life and connection to Aix-en-Provence, you can arrange a private tour of key artistic sights or follow the Cézanne trail through the town center. Pick up a special map from the tourist office and see where the painter went to school, his childhood home, and more.
- Things to do in Provence
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Cannes
- Things to do in Montpellier
- Things to do in Nice
- Things to do in Monte-Carlo
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Lyon
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Aix Cathedral (Cathédrale Saint Sauveur)
- Cours Mirabeau
- Aix-en-Provence Old Town (Vieil Aix)
- Sainte-Victoire Mountain (Montagne Sainte-Victoire)
- La Barben Zoo (Zoo de la Barben)
- Valensole Plateau (Plateau De Valensole)
- Lake of Sainte-Croix (Lac de Sainte-Croix)
- Les Saintes Maries de la Mer